Noelle

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Cloth Diapers Review

I am a total cloth diaper snob.  I love it to no end.  Noelle was in disposables for a bit on Friday and Saturday, and I cannot stand the chemical smell! I thought I would review the brands I have tried so far.

Prefolds:
Green Mountain Diapers: yellow edge.  These are great.  They are wide so they still fit around Noelle nicely with a snappi.  I have found that the "jelly roll" fold works best.  She is starting to outgrow them.  I think I will order some of the next size up-red edge.  I didn't think I would need prefolds once she was fitting in her one size diapers, but I find that I really like them for short term.  I use them a lot when I am doing the laundry and want all of my pockets clean at one time to send with Phil's mom when I am at work.  I also use them if, say, I am leaving to go out for a while in about an hour....and don't want to "waste" a clean pocket.  Orange edge is the newborn size.  I only have 6 of them which worked nicely, all though I was not able to snappi them as effectively.  I think that was just because prefolds did have a higher learning curve than I thought they would at the very beginning.  By the time I became a pro snappi-er, she had grown into the yellow edge.  I have 12 yellow edge.

Bummis:  These also worked well when I was using them.   I liked them at the very beginning, again, before I was a good snappi-er.  They are more of a rectangle, than a square however.  This just means that they are not wide enough to snappi around Noelle's waste.  I use them as burp cloths now.  When I first started using them, I actually liked them more than the yellow edge because they were not as wide.  I folded them horizontally instead of vertically, which then made them shorter so that the fit in the x-small covers perfectly.  This was when I was just trifolding them.  I have 12 of these.

Fitteds:
Kissaluv Size 0 (KL0):  These are good diapers.  They fit right away and are a great night time option.  Newborn poop will not escape these things.....that's the best thing about them.  With prefolds there is a very good chance poop will get on the inside of the cover so you need quite a few covers in the early days to exclusively CD.  If no poop escapes, though, you can reuse the cover before washing.  It would not be cost effective to use only these for the newborn stage, however.  I think they run about $12 a diaper and you would need 30-36 of them so it would be a pretty penny for diapers you only use a short time.  I think Noelle fit in these for 4-6 weeks or so.  I have 6 KL0's.

Tinkle Traps:  These are made by a local work at home mom.  They come in super cute prints.  They have a nice snap in insert for added absorbency.  They are about 10-12 a diaper.  They worked equally as well as the KLO's, but much cuter.  Also, they don't feel quite as super, super soaked as the KL0's or prefolds when you change it.  I have 2 of these.

Covers:

Thirsties:  These are wonderful covers.  I have 3 X-Small...all velcro (aka hook and loop or aplix), a few Small (someone gave those to me), and 2 "Duo's", which means they snap down and are two sizes in one diaper.  The double gussets in the legs contain the poop wonderfully!  I cannot see how poop would escape this cover as long as the diaper underneath is tucked in.  The xsmall were my favorite in the newborn days.  It was trimmer than the duos or the small.  The small worked well also.  Now that Noelle is bigger...the duo is my favorite.  It fits her perfectly when the rise is totally unsnapped.  Of course the owl and tree prints could also have something to do with why I love them so much. 

One size diapers (pocket):

BumGenius 4:  These are a very popular diaper.  It has a microfiber insert with microsuede that goes against baby's skin.  The outside of the diaper is made with waterproof PUL.  I have 5 velcro and 5 snap.  I like the velcro for overnights, because of how easy it is to change.  These are the only diapers I put on Noelle for overnight.  She can sleep 8 hours straight in one without a leak.  The microsuede does an AMAZING job of wicking moisture away from the skin.  Phil has on occasion gone to change one of these and thought it was totally dry and then felt in the pocket to find a completely saturated insert.  I have a total of 10.  They run $18 a piece and are worth every penny. 

Rumparoo:  I have 2 of these in velcro.  The prints are uber cute.  They have leaked on me maybe once or twice.  They have a very short rise, many people say these only fit until their babies are 6 or 7 months....so we will see.  They are a bit bulky.  They have inner gussets which make it so poop is very unlikely to seep out the legs.  I hang dry all my pocket shells, and these take the longest to dry.  I'm not sure what material goes against the skin, but it is SUPER soft and feels very nice.  I got these on ecobaby buys, 2 for 27 dollars.  They run about $23 dollars for one.  I am glad I got these at this price, but I would not pay full price for them. 

Mama Kitty United:  I recieved 10 of these from my SIL as a gift, they are what she uses.  They have overlapping snaps which is nice because then you can get a nice snug fit with snaps, which you can usually only do with overlapping velcro.  They have a nice stay-dry feeling.  I have to have these double stuffed to not leak, which makes them bulkier.  I have also had poo escape from the legs.....which does not happen with most cloth diapers.  There is a lot of variance in the snaps.  On some of them....the snaps work fine, on others....I can't get it to snap tightly for the life of me.  They run about $10 per diaper.  That's a great price, but the quality just is not there.  That being said, they seem to be working well for my SIL so I guess it just depends on the baby. 

Bumkins:  I have only used these twice.  The first time some poo escaped the leg, but I think Noelle was still too small to fit in them well.  The second time, it worked well....but I did double stuff it.  The insert seems very small to me.  I have 2 of them that I got from Zulily for $10 each.  The prints are cute, but I don't typically reach for them.

Hybrid Diapers:

Flips:  These are made by the makers of BumGenius.  They are a one size cover with an insert.  The top layer of the insert is flannel which goes against baby's skin, and the underside is microfiber.  The insert folds down to accomodate the size that the cover is set on.  I like these diapers a lot.  The insert wicks wetness away from the skin very nicely.  The tabs that snap are flexible.  It is pretty trim and looks cute.  If the cover remains poopless, you just switch out the insert.  It's basically a more expensive way to do a prefold.   I bought a starter pack with 6 inserts and 2 covers.  Now that Noelle poops less, this works well.  When she was pooping more, however, it kind of negated the whole convenience of just switching out the insert because the cover will almost always get dirty with newborn poop.  It's rare that I actually use all 6 inserts before both covers get dirty.  The plus side is that they fit in the diaper bag really nicely, so I usually save them for when I am going somewhere.  I usually put one on her, bring the other cover and a couple inserts.  Sometimes I throw in an extra pocket diaper too, just incase Noelle decides to poop a million times in two hours.  Hasn't happened yet, but I like to be prepared.

That's all for now!  I'll do another post soon with cloth diapering accessories.

No comments:

Post a Comment